Monday, June 11, 2012

BECOMING A BERLINER

We showed up to the city and had to haul our luggage all the way to the apartments.  Aaliyah and I are roommates and share a room. Our other roommates are Emily and Lauren.  The first thing we did was learn how to use the train systems, the U-Bahn and the S-Bahn.
my cozy room





The next day we went and saw the Berlin Gate which is just a walk around the block from our apartments. There we also saw some of the embassies like the British Embassy by Michael Wilford.  The embassies were held to restrictions to their facades because of the historic appearance that they want to keep of Pariser Plaz and the hierarchy of the Brandenburg Gate. One of my favorite buildings of the plaz is the DZ Bank by Frank Gehry. Because of the restrictions that Gehry faced he really let loose in the interior.


Dang, eyes closed!



British Embassy


DZ Bank



Interior of DZ Bank
Then we explored Postdamer Plaz where we saw the Philarmonie by Has Scharoun. One of my favorite buildings was the Debis Building by Renzo Piano which is a high tech building. The Sony Center was where we got lunch and I went to a micro brewery.  I was excited to walk the sony center because the landscape was done by Peter Walker who I used as a precedent in one of my second year projects.
Oh you know, just a line of Mercedes taxis


next to a piece of the Berlin wall

Sony Center




The interior of the Philharmonie 

Richard Serra sculpture


Debis Building by Renzo Piano





No comments:

Post a Comment